Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ok - so here is the response form the technical people:

Dear 

Thank you for your email dated 28 April 2012.

A search of your IP address has shown that there is an Anonymizer on
your internet access or computer that would have been placed there by
yourself or your Internet Service provider.

An Anonymizer is something that allows a user to visit Web sites
without allowing anyone to gather information about which sites the
user has visited. This means that our blocking system isn’t able to
trace whether you are trying to access your account from within the UK
or not, therefore access will not be allowed to our website.

In order to access our website this would need to be removed. I would
therefore as you to contact your service provider for further
information.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely


National Lottery Customer Care Team



Wait you need to read my browser history? isnt' that my personal data - come to that, isn't that also potentially the data belonging to my wife and any other accounts on my PC?


So, going back to the fact that this is supposed to be about where I live, I sent this:


Date: 30 April 2012
Subject: Re: Response from The National Lottery (Ref:NL399976)

Good afternoon,

That doesn't sounds right - if the website (http://whatismyipaddress.com/) that
shows my location from my IP address can get it right so can you, also this
is not my ISPs problem since it is your companies implementation that seems
at fault.

I do feel that an anonymizer is a good idea and I am glad that my ISP has
that enabled one since there is no need for you to know what other websites
I have visited if there is one on my connection it should not be necessary
for it to be removed.

I return to my point that if http://whatismyipaddress.com/ can get it right
so can you.

If you refuse to sort out this problem then I will raise a complaint with
my ISP (over your behaviour), the information commissioner and my MP over
this - it is not right that  you can falsely refuse access to your website
when the very tool you suggest I use to find my location proves that I do
live in the UK (and have done all my life).

Regards



To which, inevitably they respond thusly:


Dear

Thank you for your email dated 30 April 2012.

I sorry to hear of your frustrations regarding this matter however I
regret to inform you that if your Internet Service Provider is using
an Anonymizer on your internet access, our location software will be
unable to to determine if your are physically located in the UK or
Isle of Man. Therefore you will be unable to access your National
Lottery account.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and if you require any
further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

National Lottery Customer Care Team



So that wasn't going anywhere - what to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment